The EPP programme has been built based on the latest research and information available in the area of strength & conditioning for young athletes.
Below are a number of the journal articles including the UK Strength & Conditioning Association & RFU Position Statements on Youth Resistance Training and textbooks that have inspired the content of our training programme.
UKSCA Position Statement Final
Strength Training for Young Rugby Players (RFU Position Statement)
- Lloyd, R.S. and Oliver, J.L. (2014) Strength & Conditioning for Young Athletes. Routledge: London
- American College of Sports Medicine. ACSMs Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. 8th ed. Lippincott. Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2010.
- Baker, D., Mitchell, J., Boyle, D., Currell, S., Wilson, G., Bird, S.P., O’Connor, D. and Jones, J. Resistance training for children and youth: a position stand from the Australian Strength and Conditioning Association (ASCA). 2007.
- Behm, D.G., Faigenbaum, A.D., Falk, B. and Klentrou, P. Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology position paper: resistance training in children and adolescents. Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism, 33: 547-61. 2008
- Annesi, J., Westcott, W., Faigenbaum, A. and Unruh, J. Effects of a 12 week physical activity program delivered by YMCA after-school counselors (Youth Fit for Life) on fitness and self-efficacy changes in 5–12 year old boys and girls. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 76: 468–476. 2005.
- Bass, S.L. The prepubertal years – a unique opportune stage of growth when the skeleton is most responsive to exercise. Sports Medicine, 30: 73-78. 2000.
- Behringer, M., vom Heede, A., Matthews, M. and Mester, J. Effects of strength training on motor performance skills in children and adolescents: a meta-analysis. Pediatric Exercise Science, 23: 186-206. 2011.
- Faigenbaum, A.D. Psychological benefits of prepubescent strength training. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 17: 28-32. 1995.
- Faigenbaum, A.D., Kraemer, W.J., Blimkie, C.J., Jeffreys, I., Micheli, L.J., Nitka, M. and Rowland, T.W. Youth resistance training: updated position statement paper from the National Strength and Conditioning Association. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 23: S60-S79. 2009.
- Lopes, V., Rodrigues, L., Maia, J. and Malina, R. Motor coordination as predictor of physical activity in childhood. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 21: 663-669. 2011.
- Padilla-Moledo, C., Ruiz, J.R., Ortega, F.B., Mora, J. and Castro-Pinero, J. Associations of muscular fitness with psychological positive health, health complaints, and health risk behaviors in Spanish children and adolescents. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26: 1671-1673. 2012.
- Myer, G.D., Faigenbaum, A.D., Chu, D., Falkel, J., Ford, K. and Best, T. Integrative training for children and adolescents: techniques and practices for reducing sports related injuries and enhancing athletic performance. The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 39: 74-84. 2011.
- Velez, A., Golem, D.L. and Arent, S.M. The impact of a 12-week resistance training program on strength, body composition, and self-concept of hispanic adolescents. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24: 1065-1073. 2010.
- Valovich-McLeod, T.C., Decoster, L.C., Loud, K.J., Micheli, L., Parker, J.T., Sandrey, M.A. and White C. National Athletic Trainers’ Association position statement: prevention of pediatric overuse injuries. Journal of Athletic Training,46: 206-220. 2011.
- World Health Organization. Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health. Geneva: WHO Press. 2010.