The EPP programme has been built based on the latest research and information available in the area of strength & conditioning for young athletes.
Below are a number of the journal articles including the UK Strength & Conditioning Association & RFU Position Statements on Youth Resistance Training and textbooks that have inspired the content of our training programme.
Strength Training for Young Rugby Players (RFU Position Statement)
- Lloyd, R.S. and Oliver, J.L. (2014) Strength & Conditioning for Young Athletes. Routledge: London
- American College of Sports Medicine. ACSMs Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. 8th ed. Lippincott. Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2010.
- Baker, D., Mitchell, J., Boyle, D., Currell, S., Wilson, G., Bird, S.P., O’Connor, D. and Jones, J. Resistance training for children and youth: a position stand from the Australian Strength and Conditioning Association (ASCA). 2007.
- Behm, D.G., Faigenbaum, A.D., Falk, B. and Klentrou, P. Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology position paper: resistance training in children and adolescents. Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism, 33: 547-61. 2008
- Annesi, J., Westcott, W., Faigenbaum, A. and Unruh, J. Effects of a 12 week physical activity program delivered by YMCA after-school counselors (Youth Fit for Life) on fitness and self-efficacy changes in 5–12 year old boys and girls. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 76: 468–476. 2005.
- Bass, S.L. The prepubertal years – a unique opportune stage of growth when the skeleton is most responsive to exercise. Sports Medicine, 30: 73-78. 2000.
- Behringer, M., vom Heede, A., Matthews, M. and Mester, J. Effects of strength training on motor performance skills in children and adolescents: a meta-analysis. Pediatric Exercise Science, 23: 186-206. 2011.
- Faigenbaum, A.D. Psychological benefits of prepubescent strength training. Strength and Conditioning Journal, 17: 28-32. 1995.
- Faigenbaum, A.D., Kraemer, W.J., Blimkie, C.J., Jeffreys, I., Micheli, L.J., Nitka, M. and Rowland, T.W. Youth resistance training: updated position statement paper from the National Strength and Conditioning Association. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 23: S60-S79. 2009.
- Lopes, V., Rodrigues, L., Maia, J. and Malina, R. Motor coordination as predictor of physical activity in childhood. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 21: 663-669. 2011.
- Padilla-Moledo, C., Ruiz, J.R., Ortega, F.B., Mora, J. and Castro-Pinero, J. Associations of muscular fitness with psychological positive health, health complaints, and health risk behaviors in Spanish children and adolescents. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 26: 1671-1673. 2012.
- Myer, G.D., Faigenbaum, A.D., Chu, D., Falkel, J., Ford, K. and Best, T. Integrative training for children and adolescents: techniques and practices for reducing sports related injuries and enhancing athletic performance. The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 39: 74-84. 2011.
- Velez, A., Golem, D.L. and Arent, S.M. The impact of a 12-week resistance training program on strength, body composition, and self-concept of hispanic adolescents. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24: 1065-1073. 2010.
- Valovich-McLeod, T.C., Decoster, L.C., Loud, K.J., Micheli, L., Parker, J.T., Sandrey, M.A. and White C. National Athletic Trainers’ Association position statement: prevention of pediatric overuse injuries. Journal of Athletic Training,46: 206-220. 2011.
- World Health Organization. Global Recommendations on Physical Activity for Health. Geneva: WHO Press. 2010.